Networking Event at Schulich School of Business - February 6, 2014
The APICS Toronto Chapter, in association with the Schulich School of Business, had organized a networking event at Schulich on February 6th, 2014. It was hosted by Prof. Markus Biehl, Associate Dean and Branko Tosic, VP of Events at APICS Toronto. Rick Cleveland from the SCMA was a guest speaker too. There were about 60 participants, including some Schulich MBA students. Attendees got to network and discuss careers in supply chain over drinks and light refreshments. The Toronto Chapter is committed to organizing similar networking events in the future.
Plant Tour - Think Logistics - November 4, 2013
Think Logistics is Canada’s next generation ecommerce and retail third-party logistics service provider. They deliver world-class service, next level speed and efficiency to organizations serving the Canadian marketplace.
PDM - Supply Chain Complex but Simple with Ali Chakaroun - October 24, 2013
Supply chain in a nut shell is the process of moving/transforming raw materials or products from Suppliers to customers or from one customer to another. Click here to view presentation slides and Process Map.
Joint Case Competition - Schulich and Rotman School of Business - October 12, 2013
The supply chain clubs at Schulich and Rotman had organized a joint case competition on Oct 12, 2013. It was a huge success and the feedback received from the participants, faculty and judges was very encouraging.
The competition was held in the Schulich building at York's Keele campus. There were 6 teams in total - 3 from Rotman and 3 from Schulich. Schulich teams came 1st and 3rd, while one Rotman team came 2nd. The panel of judges comprised of the Associate Director of Procurement, Kraft Food Division, Senior Manager, Global Procurement, Molson Coors Brewery and a senior consultant from Capgemini.
Please join us in congratulating the winning teams and the club executives for all their hard work in organizing the event.
APICS Toronto Chapter - Hitachi Construction Truck Manufacturing Plant Tour - October 8, 2013
At the plant tour, the participants were looking at their production line for wheel loaders (rigid, articulated, skid steer), tracked excavators (mini, midi, mining), tracked dozers and carriers, rigid dump trucks, rollers, tunnelers.
The Guelph plant has the capacity to produce some 300 units a year, and when operating to capacity it employs 500 staff.
APICS Toronto Chapter - Toromont CAT Plant Tour - September 17, 2013
Canada's student APICS Team from Seneca College came 3rd at the international Case Competition in Orlando Florida
Congratulations to the team competitors and Coach Mary Drane:
Stephanie Tang, and,
Seneca students came 1st and 2nd place in the APICS National Case Study Competition
On March 8th and 9th, 2013 two teams from Seneca participated in a Case Study Competition held by the Canadian District of the Association for Operations Management. (APICS) There were eight teams participating from Algonquin, Mohawk, Durham, Fanshawe and Seneca.
Seneca teams were awarded FIRST and SECOND place. The first place team has won the privilege of representing Canada at the International APICS Case Competition being held at the Annual International Conference in Florida in September.
The students are from Purchasing and Supply Management, and the Global Logistics programs.
First Place team members: Rubin Varghese, Dante Carlos, Kate Marynych, Mohammad Manji, Qionying Zhu.
Second Place team members: Olena Arutiunova, Glib Baraban, Dilshan Abdul-Kayoom, Stephanie Tang, Nancy Tian.
Message from the President
What an exciting February we are having; typically February is a quiet month where most of us are still in hibernation mode for the winter. But this year we have the Winter Olympics in Sochi to cheer about (Go-Canada-Go!!!) and at the APICS - Toronto Chapter we have lots of exciting things underway as well!
- We held a joint networking event at the Schulich School of Business on February 6th. From everyone that I have talked to who attended it was a great event with lots of food and great conversation. I had planned to attend this event as well, but unfortunately I had car trouble on the way to the event and did not make it. Thank you Branko, Rasesh, and Shirley for filling in for me!
- The APICS Canadian Student Case Competition was held on January 25, 2014 in Burlington, ON. Ten teams from across Canada (Algonquin, BCIT, Conestoga x2, Durham x2, HEC, Mohawk, and Seneca x2) competed in this case-based competition and this year the winner was HEC Montreal – congratulations to Audray Langlois, Christian Duret, Leonard Vincent, Catherine Vincent and their advisor, Nicolai Rassolov on their win. Seneca 2 and Conestoga 1 came in second and third place, respectively. I had the great pleasure of being one of the judges at this competition – I encourage everyone to attend these competitions when you get the chance and see the best that our students have to offer – it is a very rewarding experience.
Additionally, the APICS Toronto Chapter has donated money (in concert with other Canadian chapters) to support both the Canadian Case Competition and this year’s winning team’s attendance at the 2014 APICS International Case Competition in October, at the APICS International Conference in New Orleans.
- In the spirit of case competitions, we are proud to announce the creation of an annual APICS Toronto Case Competition. This annual case competition has been established to help support our local students better compete at the national and international competitions. This year we will be using The Fresh Connection format for the competition and the competition will be taking place at Durham College on March 8th. Chaim has headed up this initiative this year and has been working with the student chapters and their advisors to send teams to this event.
- We have arranged wonderful back-to-back plant tours scheduled in April and May, at Honda of Canada Manufacturing in Alliston. We have ensured that we have plenty of room at these tours by arranging both morning and afternoon tours for each of these dates. I attended the Honda plant tour several years ago and found their tour very interesting and informative. Perhaps it’s time for me to check out a new vehicle from the ground up!
- We will be holding a career focused Professional Development Meeting (PDM) in late March - this event will be of great value to those of you who are in the job market. Details of this event will be posted by February 20th.
We will also be holding a PDM in May related to Disruptive Innovation. Our friend, Daniel Hui from Seneca College has posted interesting articles on our LinkedIn page about this subject and I would like to present my perspectives related to the introduction of game changing innovation and technologies. Also, I will be addressing how we in the Supply Chain and Operations Management field can add value related to Disruptive Innovation.
Details of all these events and more can be found in the ‘Events’ section of our website at www.apics.ca.
If there is anything you wish to discuss with us such as suggestions how we can improve or if you wish to volunteer, please feel free to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or on my cellphone at 416-890-8374.
We hope everyone has a great February! And again, Go-Canada-Go!!!
Mark Tinkler, CPIM, CIRM, CSCP
President - APICS Toronto Chapter
APICS Scholars Education Program
The Scholars Education Program is a unique educational opportunity to introduce undergraduate and graduate students to APICS and the profession through a scholarship to attend the APICS International Conference and Expo. The program benefits both students and volunteers with a rewarding experience that fosters career growth, professional connections, and develops future leaders of APICS. Click here to find out more.
The convenience and flexibility of APICS Webinars enable organizations to educate a large number of employees at once, reduce travel expenses, and maintain consistent levels of productivity by eliminating time out of the office. Each 60-minute APICS Webinar features an educational discussion, case studies, and a Q&A session. All you need to participate is an Internet connection and a telephone. As an added benefit, registrants of each APICS Webinar receive a CD-ROM of the presentation after the event. Click here to find out more.
Visit our Corporate Member Partners page ...more
Testing - Information on exam dates, locations, and registration fees for CPIM/CSCP testing.